I have created an app that I want to sell on the Google play store. I have created free apps before, but for selling one you need a merchant account; for that I need to register as a sole trader.

I am not planning on making a large amount of money off the app, probably less than £500 a year (I work full time and plan on doing this and a bit of freelancing on the side). I understand I must pay tax on all my profits, however as my income from freelancing will be less than the National Insurance Class 2 threshold of £5,965 will I have to pay national insurance on it?

  • Dunno about the UK. In my country there is a bureaucratic process which must be done to get exemption, as I am already paying that in my full time job. However if you do not ask for the exemption, you will pay it. Jun 7, 2016 at 9:34

2 Answers 2


Your National Insurance contributions is calculated on total taxable income. The source of the taxable income is irrelevant - thus I suspect its likely you'll have to contribute more National Insurance, though I also suspect its so small that its not worth worrying about.

Call your local tax office and ask them - I've had a UK Limited Company in the UK for 20+ years and have had to call on them over the years (meaning they are human and not out to trick you).

Alternatively, the UK Government website calculator might help: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-manually-check-your-payroll-calculations

Best of luck...


Disclaimer, I am not an accountant

Yes you will have to. The reason for this is that your self assessment will also take into account your wages from your full time position. I have found this website


"Your tax-free Personal Allowance usually gets allocated to your employment, so the tax on your self-employment will be at your own highest tax rate. If your total income is below £41,865, the tax on your self-employed income will be 20%, but any income over £41,865 will be taxed at the higher rate of 40% (income above £150,000 may be taxed at 45%)."

  • Thanks for the reply testydonkey, I know about the tax its the national insurance I am trying to find out about.
    – bolt19
    Jun 7, 2016 at 13:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.