So I am currently switching jobs and the small company I work at might need me to do a little consulting/freelancing for them while they find someone to replace me.

I am not really scared of them trying to sue me since I know them all on a personal level but I would still like to cover my back.

Is there some type of legal document I could have them sign saying basically if I write bad code they can't sue me? I am based in the USA.

I would rather not get insurance since this would be something that is temporary and would only be like 20 hours of work.

  • " if I write bad code they can't sue me" ... don't write bad code? – user152 May 26 '16 at 14:15
  • Why do you think they would sue you if you had a bug in your code? What are you coding? If it's for some military/medical application (so someone's life is on the line), then you're definitely (1) going to need to meet some standards and have the code pass a spec by an authority and (2) going to need liability insurance. If it could lose someone copious amounts of money, then that code better be tested thoroughly. In both cases, this shouldn't just fall on you, it probably would be a good idea to discuss who is responsible for testing the code. But I'm not a lawyer, perhaps you should ask one. – user152 May 26 '16 at 14:22
  • Have you considered just letting your current contract (perhaps modified to 0-hours) run on for a bit? It's not that weird to have two employers. – PixelSnader May 27 '16 at 15:13

Consult with an attorney. We're not attorneys here.

| improve this answer | |
  • Right but there could always be someone who has had to deal with something similar here ;) – boidkan May 25 '16 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.