I am a Belgian citizen residing in Spain where I already have a full time job and would like to do some freelance work after hours.

  • Do I need to register in Spain?
  • What are my possibilities concerning income and social security taxes?
  • I heard of this possibility of becoming a freelancer on "European level" which would mean I wouldn't pay social security taxes in Spain. Could you please tell me more about this?
  • 1
    What information have you researched so far? Who told you about becoming a freelancing on the Europian level? Did they have any documentation about that?
    – Canadian Luke
    Aug 10, 2015 at 17:11
  • As far as I am aware, despite the Single European Market there is no such thing as freelancing on a European Level - the rules about taxation and especially social taxes are very opaque, and I commend proper legal and/or accounting advice!
    – Andrew
    Aug 13, 2015 at 5:33
  • Dear all, thank you for your replies. The reason I asked is because last year we got a legislation training at work given by a former lawyer.He has mentioned this European Level but since i couldn't find anything about it on the internet I thought I would try here. It's so hard to find your way in these cobwebs called legislation.
    – Nathalie
    Aug 18, 2015 at 20:10
  • "I already have a full time job". First thing to check is that your current job contract allows for work on the side.
    – user152
    May 6, 2016 at 8:46

2 Answers 2


Full time freelancer living in Spain here. You must register as an "Autonomo" after you reach the top of selling professional services, more or less 2000€ for unemployed people last time I checked it.

Check if your contract allows it.

It may vary depending on the "Comunidad Autonoma" in which you are living or your work, so go to "Seguridad Social" and ask for selling "Servicios Profesionales".

Hope it helps.


I think noone here can answer your question because it is a very complicated task that involves local, national and international laws.

You shoud definitely go to a professional accountant to have all the answers tailored for your situation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.