I'm a UK freelancer doing various design projects for some EU clients (Italy/France). I'm registered as a sole-trader in the UK and I've just sent my first invoice to a client. The client has asked for a certificate of my UK residence so that their government understands that I will be paying tax in the UK (this is what they've told me).

Is there an easier way of doing this? The process for getting a certificate of residence is around 15 days, and if I have to apply for one each month I send an invoice then it becomes a problem.

Should I include my UTR number on the invoice? What can I do?

  • Should I include my UTR number on the invoice? NO!!! A thousand times NO!!! It's not like a NINO, where an employer needs it. Your UTR is solely your reference. VAT number would do the trick (they start with GB)
    – JohnHC
    Commented Feb 9, 2017 at 14:57

1 Answer 1


You should have a EU-VAT number. This number should be on any invoice. Your clients can check its validity Here: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

IF you do not have such a number, get one from you financial authorities.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.