It would be a Social Media position. Do I just file a tax report as a freelancer then? Do I need a business license for it? The company has no ties to the US at all. What do you recommend what's the best thing to do?


It will depend on your juristiction - state/county/town(?) - whether you're required to register your business. You probably will be. I (US Citizen, working in the US) had to register my free-lance business in Massachusetts and in New Hampshire (at the times I lived in each one) and pay a few dollars - a tax - to do so. I don't remember the registration price in Massachusetts, but in NH it was $50, good for 5 years.

You have the additional wrinkle of being a non-citizen. I have no idea how or whether that might change anything, even assuming you have the right to work in the United States.


Fellow US-German here with freelance clients in Germany. First, your immigration status is important. If you're not allowed to work in the US, it's my (non-lawyer) understanding that you can't engage in work, not even as freelancer.

If you're allowed to work, then, as a freelancer, you'll be subject to local (e.g. city, county) or state rules. In most places you may need to get a business license, which usually is not very expensive (where I live, it's about $150/yr). Some municipalities don't require a business license if you're not actually doing business in the municipality you live.

Once all that is sorted out, you can just do work for your German client, invoice them in USD, receive international payment (Paypal, bank wire, crypto), and then report this as business income on your tax return. That's it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.