I am stuck in an international taxation predicament that is keeping me from pitching for freelance writing gigs I'm absolutely ready for. I'm a New Zealand citizen who is no longer a tax resident in my own country because I've been away from it for more than 3 years. I'm a permanent traveler living moving about country to country on visitors visas. Now I wish to start doing remote freelance writing work for US and Euro client firms, publications, blog sites etc. I would not be employed but simply work as a remote non resident sole trader contractor on a per assignment basis for different such clients who are mostly US based. I have already found out that given my circumstances I have no obligations to pay taxes in the USA for work that I do there remotely. In fact at present I have no tax residency whatsoever anywhere. Not until I commence my immigration process in Perú in 2 years from now. That is when I will become a tax resident there. In the meantime I will continue moving about as I have been from country to country. My difficulty lies in these prospective US clients all needing a number from me for their own tax purposes. Be it an SSN or an EIN. I have nor can get nor want either of those. I have no interest in forming an LLC. I don't want a permanent or part time employment contract with any such client. I will always work remotely for such US or Euro based clients. I will always take care of my own taxes. An international tax accountant just told me that I need and ITIN. But I see that this is only for people who have a requirement to file a tax return with the IRS. But since I don't need to pay taxes in the USA why would I need to file a tax return there? What I am stuck with is that I need to give my prospective US and Euro clients something so they can file their taxes for paying me the contracted amount in fees. I'm just not sure that the ITIN is it. Does anyone here know what I need to do? Is there a waiver form I need to present to my clients? I have no idea why all this has to be so complicated. But this single hurdle has already cost me so much in potential earnings. I'd like to get stuck into my freelance professional writing career asap but this here conundrum us keeping me trapped. Please help if you can. Thank you.

  • This seems far more like a legal question than freelancing question. – Scott Dec 29 '19 at 5:11
  • It's an international tax question for freelance writers writing remotely for US clients. Unfortunately as a newbie I was given a limited option of tag words. Only freelance and USA applied. – Kintarian Amaru Dec 29 '19 at 10:17
  • I get that.. but it's really more legal than freelancing.. I didn't vote to close it or anything, I simply think you need a legal answer.. not a freelancing answer. The odds of a freelancer having experience in this area are slim to none.. but a legal tax advisor would know as part of their general knowledge. – Scott Dec 29 '19 at 10:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.