I am a UK-based self-employed consultant, not registed for VAT An EU-based client wants EU VAT number otherwise they won't pay If I register for the number, is it just a paperwork hassle, or do I have any other duties? Can I de-register later? It's only for this one contract and I do not intend do use it - no VAT is charged on my services

  • Can you check with them if they are happy with your tax id alone? I freelanced for my German employer, and they were fine with just tax id. – VarunAgw Jul 15 '19 at 22:32

The way I understand it VAT number in EU serves as EU-wide tax id. There is a VAT number database where you can check the validity of counter party VAT number. In Czechia you are required by law to acquire VAT number no longer than a month after you issue your first invoice to an EU counter party. I suggest you check your regulations as you might be required to get one anyway.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.