If I'm an EU-citizen and want to work in Switzerland as contractor, what should I do, if I have company registered in EU?

  1. Can I work in Switzerland as contractor and invoice my client company as EU-registered company? Or I'm required to register company in Switzerland?

  2. If registering a company in Switzerland is required, do I need special permission from Swiss government to do that?

  • This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet.
    – Dzhuneyt
    May 22, 2013 at 14:34
  • 1
    @ColorWP.com you want to close all questions targeting specific country? I think you're going to kill this proposal May 22, 2013 at 15:01
  • 1
    I absolutely agree it's on-topic. Many sample Q's on Area51 proposal are country-specific.
    – bytebuster
    May 22, 2013 at 15:15
  • 6
    No, please, this is not at all what is meant by "too localized." There's nothing about the practice of an entire country/state/city/community that would be considered "too localized." This close reason is being severely reworked because of these misunderstandings (more on that soon) — but it almost never makes sense to close a question because it pertains to a specific country — meta.stackexchange.com/questions/42408/… May 22, 2013 at 18:15

1 Answer 1


I am not a lawyer or an expert on the issue, but it would be very strange if a company in a reputable Western country X (i.e. not under embargo or similar) could not provide services to and bill a company in a reputable Western country Y. If a Swiss company wants to import goods from abroad, does the company they're buying from need to register a company in Switzerland? Sounds unlikely.

If the deal requires you to work on-site, you might need to get a work permit, depending on how long you'll stay in the country.

  • 2
    The difference is, when you are working as contractor, your domicile is on the territory of that country. And usually each country requires that their residents pay taxes by them. May 22, 2013 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.