I am a young iOS programmer with a good amount of experience. I have been doing iOS programming for five or six years I have a couple finished apps on the App Store that are very aesthetic and that I am proud of.
I would like to gain more programming experience with real companies or at least other parties (i.e. not me or my friends). However, I do not think I have the portfolio, connections, or capital necessary to promote myself through what I would guess are the more traditional means (advertising campaigns, etc.).
I have looked into services like Fiverr, but (a) I am unsure of their viability, and (b) I have an alternative idea:
There are many industry-made apps on the App Store that have plenty of room to improve/are far from perfect/are unattractive. Could I get in contact with the companies that own these improvable apps and offer my services to improve them for free?
I would do it for free/volunteer for a couple reasons:
- To expand my portfolio
- To gain more experience
- They probably wouldn't even consider it if I charged them
My general question (Is this a viable plan?) can be broken down into specifics:
- Would any company even respond?
- Would companies be reluctant to allow outsiders with my 'qualifications' to do this?
- Is there a certain kind of company I should target?
- Is there a certain way to get in contact with them?
- Do you have any suggestions or improvements to my plan?