I'm a British citizen living in Germany, working as a freelancer and I'm trying to work out tax here and it's made me very confused.

I also want to study here, which makes matters more difficult. As an EU citizen (for the time being) I can work according to the sames rules as German students, but I'm not sure how that affects my taxes.

As far as I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, as a regular freelancer I normally pay both the employee's and employer's parts of the health insurance/pension contributions and so on.

If I become a student, what happens then? As a student freelancer I would be on the student health insurance, pay income tax and pay 9.45% pension contributions (as I'm pretty sure I'll be earning more than 850€)

My question for you all is, as a freelancer would I also have to pay the employer's contribution to pension insurance? If I work more than 20 hours a week I would have to pay normal health insurance, however would I again have to pay the employer's contribution?

Thanks in advance.


Yes you will need to pay the employer pension contribution yourself. Keep in mind, that is if you are a freelancer: you could also set up your own company (e.g. GmbH). Also I believe you get a 50% reduction for the pension payments in your first 3 years as freelancer.

And finally, don't take my word for it. Find the relevant government entity and give them a call or send an email. They'll speak/write English. You DO NOT want to rely solely on a website with free advice for this type of stuff.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.