This might be a very stupid question regarding tax return and self employment, so prepare for it :)

I'm using Gumroad to sell some software products online. Gumroad is the one sending the invoice to my customers. As detailed in Gumroad:

Remember - your customers are buying from Gumroad, not from you, so we send them invoices.

If I am not the one generating the invoice or having the customer details. How do I justify my earnings for the tax return with HM Revenue & Customs here in the UK?

I was always told all I have to do is show them my customers invoices, but... what if I don't have?

Can I just show them a printed version of each of the transactions in my bank account where I'm receiving the benefits?

  • You have record of Gumroad sending you payments don't you? – Scott May 5 '17 at 15:27
  • Yeah. In their site. But is that considered a valid prof? – Alvaro May 5 '17 at 17:23
  • I don't know UK taxes (I'm American) so I can't offer direct UK Tax experience. I would suggest you speak with a tex professional about your specific needs not a random "freelance" web site -- Tax professional exist for a reason. – Scott May 5 '17 at 17:54
  • In the US they are glad to see us reporting more than we prove. That is not usually the kind of thing that will trigger an audit unless it is outrageous amounts, in which case you had better submit invoices. – SDsolar May 21 '17 at 5:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.