I am leaving the company that I am currently employed by (permanent member of staff). I am going to freelance for them once I have left and want to know what to charge per day.
Long story short:
- I work there as an analyst, writing up reports based on my findings;
- I have built a custom Microsoft Access database for the team;
- I am leaving (for personal reasons); and
- they want me to do my analysis work on a freelance basis.
At present I earn around £40,000 (not the actual amount - this is for the purpose of this example) as a full-time permanent member of staff.
The reason I have been asked to work freelance is simply because I am an expert in my field. My work was initially going to be divided between the team members, but nobody there has skills that are advanced enough to do what I do to the level and standard that I complete it to.
Further to this, I have built an Access database from the ground up and it has now been used by the team for a number of years - as with before, nobody is knowledgeable enough to be able to take up the database administration once I leave.
Based on that, what would be an acceptable daily rate to charge instead? My thoughts were that I would charge £400 per day (example figure).
- The work will be carried out off-site; and
- I will not be working full-time - it will be on an ad-hoc basis only, I imagine perhaps around 25 days per year.
- I have also dabbled in the idea of charging them per report as I am, in reality, going to be producing a product for them. Therefore, my idea was £2,000 per report as each report will take approximately five days to complete.