I'm a USA business owner.

I'd like to hire a freelancer that I know from Malaysia and have the contract through Upwork as it makes payments easier on my end.

My question is:

I know that Upwork requires the freelancers that are non-USA to fill out a W8 but do I need that W8 for tax purposes and do I need to send the international freelancer a form such as a 1099?

1 Answer 1


No - You do not need to fill out a W8 because it is for the Freelancer who will be getting payment (directly in his/her account) via Upwork. Because he/she will be earning there, it's his/her source of income, not yours.

  • I accepted your edit just for clarification btw She is used for both genders when you are not sure what is the actual sex of person you are referring. Commented Feb 25, 2016 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.