So let me tell my backstory. After graduating college, a few months after, I found a work-from-home job through Craigslist. It was my first ever job. It paid $15/hr and I was supposed to get about 20 hours a week. Things went well for the first year.
In that time I was able to find another job that was basically the same (working from home) but they were paying me $20/hr. Fast forward and the "manager" from the first company leaves because the owner can't really afford him anymore. After he left things started going downhill.
Around my 1-year mark I asked for a raise and even told him I had another job that paid $20/hr. He was pretty miffed by it but raised my pay to $18/hr but pretty much told me I wouldn't get a raise for a long time.
Over the last year though I have gotten barely any hours, maybe 1 or 2 a week. He also NEVER pays me on time, which has always been twice a month on two certain days. I'm usually left begging for my pay and continually emailing. Several times I have waited a month for my paycheck.
Company B that does pay $20/hr is ran by a much nicer owner who does pay me on time, but the hours are horrible too and I can barely make $60 in a month.
I'm a freelance web designer and since my first job, things have been picking up for myself client-wise. For 2016 I'm rebranding myself and really focusing on my business. My rate with my clients is $40/hr but I really don't have enough clients to completely quit the company jobs, but I feel like I'm not being respected by the owner and not getting enough hours to even care.
I'm basically asking for advice. Do I quit those jobs and keep my pride? Or perhaps tell them that my business model has changed and my rate is $40/hr and is not negotiable? It's not like I'm working 20 hours a week anymore so if I were making $40/hr it would at least make those 1 or 2 hours worth it for me.
I also have a contract with Company A (the bad guy) but it was signed by the manager who left. It also states I will be paid twice a month, and that hasn't been met all the time, so the contract is null?
Sorry for the long post! I've been dealing with this for a while and wanted an outside perspective.