I'm living in Germany and registered as a Freiberufler and working (directly) for a couple of companies in here.

Now I got an offer for a contract with a UK based company, do I need any extra paperwork?

  • Extra paperwork for what exactly? For being foreign to the UK company? For being a German? For depositing money? What do you have already, and what do the contracts stipulate? Do they include everything you need to get paid, and report your income as required?
    – Canadian Luke
    Aug 5, 2015 at 18:11
  • For being registered in Germany and working for a UK company. I have all I need for working for a German company as a Freiberufler. I would be working as a freelancer for that company too.
    – gerarddp
    Aug 5, 2015 at 18:16
  • @CanadianLuke see my comment, hope that helps enough
    – gerarddp
    Aug 5, 2015 at 18:25

1 Answer 1


The answer depends on many things...

  • are you working in the UK or Germany?
  • are you working directly for the client or via an agency

If you are working via an Agency, then the picture gets very cloudy, as most will not deal with an overseas company. But as you do not mention an agency, I'm assuming this doesn't apply?

If you are working directly for the UK client, from your location in Germany, then all that is necessary is for your company to invoice the client... and no UK tax or employment regulations apply.

If you are working directly for the UK client, from a UK location, then (in effect) your German company is establishing a UK branch, and is potentially subject to UK tax and also you would be subject to UK employment legislation (in particular the infamous IR35 may be applicable).

I recommend proper professional advice, as taking the wrong option could be expensive in the long run!

  • 1
    Thanks for the answer, I'm working in Germany directly for the client. So I guess I don't need to change anything and invoice them normally.
    – gerarddp
    Aug 7, 2015 at 10:48
  • In that case, then yes. I have done the reverse (working for a German client, from the UK) and just submitted an invoice... Feel free to upvote/accept the answer :)
    – Andrew
    Aug 7, 2015 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.