I am a consultant living in the United Kingdom, using my own limited company.

If I accept a contract to work in another European country, can I expense the rent I will have there?

  • 1
    You should talk to a qualified tax professional, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.
    – cdkMoose
    Feb 5, 2015 at 22:02
  • Arms length rule: Would an arbitrary company pay for an employees rent for three months abroad on work related business?
    – user152
    Feb 6, 2015 at 5:39
  • I would say yes, no? Perhaps not a rent but an hotel, no?
    – Thomas
    Feb 6, 2015 at 10:51

2 Answers 2


I believe you can. I used to work for a consultancy firm that, when travelling abroad, would allow us to expense all travel costs (flights, hotels, meals, etc.) against the company.

So in a similar way, and as an employee, you could expense your costs against your limited company.

There's loads of information on www.gov.uk about what you can or can't expense - it might be worth a look! But if it doesn't answer your question then definitely speak to your accountant.

Ultimately, you're paying for it either way... it's just a question about being able to claim your tax back!

Hope this helps.


I am UK contractor, a couple of years ago I looked into contracting in the Netherlands, and if my memory serves my correctly you could claim the cost of the working week (i.e. Monday-Friday). As you have you ltd company, you should of course double check this with your accountant.

  • Hi Damian, this answer would be much better if you included a link to the authorized source for this information. Can you please edit to include the link, and maybe even a quote from the source? Thanks
    – Canadian Luke
    Mar 16, 2015 at 18:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.