As a freelancer, how do I determine how much federal withholding I should pay? I've been paying estimated taxes for 2014, but that did not include income tax so now I'm facing a hefty bill. I would like to avoid this situation for next year.

  • Where do you live? Have you looked at your local tax revenue service's website?
    – user152
    Jan 23, 2015 at 5:20
  • My state does not have an income tax, so I am not sure how my local tax revenue service's website would help.
    – RHPT
    Jan 23, 2015 at 5:50
  • Surely you're paying income tax to someone? By local I meant your country's tax website.
    – user152
    Jan 23, 2015 at 6:49
  • Paying quarterly estimates is paying income tax. What have you been paying if not estimated quarterly taxes?
    – Scott
    Jan 23, 2015 at 7:42
  • @Scott I thought my estimated taxes was just the medicare and social security taxes.
    – RHPT
    Jan 23, 2015 at 14:35

1 Answer 1


Run, don't walk, to a local certified accountant. You need advice from a professional in this area. Time is running out on your 2014 taxes. The financial penalties can be significant if you have mis-estimated your tax liability.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.