In Canada, you need to collect tax if you make MORE than $30,000 in a year. However, what about the first $30,000 while you are under? I already have a tax number, and I will be starting my first contract soon (before this, I was a normal employee), I am wondering if I need to be collecting tax too.


If you have your HST/GST number, then you are required to collect tax as per normal. The issue comes in if you are making more than $30,000 per quarter, as you must then register and collect on future transactions [Source - CRA Mandatory Registration]. I would double-check with an accountant though as per the possible penalty if you aren't charging taxes yet, but it doesn't sound like it's a concern. Do remember though, that you are allowed to push invoicing to the next year, if it helps you out to stay under the $30,000. As per the CRA's page on voluntarily registering, once you're registered, you MUST charge, unless you have exempt items; check this list of taxable items as well.

See CRA - How to charge GST/HST and CRA - Calculating how much GST/HST to send in

| improve this answer | |
  • What about income filed under T4A? – Bill Software Engineer Dec 11 '13 at 4:11
  • I'll have to check tomorrow at a computer – Canadian Luke Dec 11 '13 at 4:38
  • @YongkeBillYu I would check this page on the CRA's website. I don't know the answer to your question though – Canadian Luke Dec 12 '13 at 20:11

OK, I did extensive research and here is the answer:

You do need to collect tax as long as you have an Activated Tax Number.

What I ended up doing is to Deactivate my Tax Number, which you can do over the phone so it's quite easy. This allow me $30,000 of HST/GST free income, which at that point, THEN I will reactivate my Tax Number and start collecting tax again.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.