I have a sole-proprietorship registered in Germany and provide services to my customers. I am currently in negotiations with a UK client. Now that the UK left the European Union and that deals have been agreed upon between the two entities, should I charge the German VAT (19%) for my services and use an EU tax id? Or should I instead charge a UK VAT and use a UK id? Or something else?

  • 1
    For goods, the UK HMRC is insisting that UK VAT is charged at source - in the EU. This is imposing a ridiculous load on EU businesses. For services, the situation is unclear.
    – Chenmunka
    Jan 18, 2021 at 10:57
  • @Chenmunka May I ask you to provide a source for this information?
    – dgellow
    Jan 18, 2021 at 19:38

1 Answer 1


Yes, you should, according to HMRC ("Should I be registered for VAT?")

9.1 NETP – definition A non-established taxable person (NETP) is any person who is not normally resident in the UK, does not have a UK establishment and, in the case of a company, is not incorporated in the UK.

9.2 UK establishment: definition A UK establishment exists if either the:

place where essential management decisions are made and the business’s central administration is carried out is in the UK business has a permanent physical presence with the human and technical resources to make or receive taxable supplies in the UK We would normally consider a company which is incorporated in the UK to have an establishment in the UK as long as it’s able to receive business supplies at its registered office.

9.3 When an NETP must register for VAT in the UK If you make any taxable supplies (see paragraph 2.3) in the UK, you must:

  • register for VAT in the UK
  • account for UK VAT to HMRC

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.